To celebrate our 7th anniversary I thought it would be nice to share seven things about Kyle and me!
7. We have lived in four different states since our wedding day, Georgia, Virginia, DC, and Hawaii. Kyle and I did not live together before getting married.
6. Out of the seven years we have been married we may have spent only 4 years of it under the same roof. Deployment, TDYs, trainings, field exercises, conferences, and special duties have left us sleeping alone for weeks (or months) at a time. Somehow we have been lucky enough (with leave, R&R) to spend every anniversary together though.
5. Our wedding vows were Seuss-inspired. My sister officiated and Kyle repeated lines such as “I’ll love you if we are rich or in a ditch”. They are not typical vows but they were for us at that moment. Not everyone, including my dad, liked our unique vows.
4. Every year on our anniversary we have purchased or made a cake that looks similar to our wedding cake which was covered in chocolate covered strawberries. This year (since we are trying to eat healthier) we have decided to skip the cake any indulge in the chocolate covered strawberries.
3. Kyle and I met when he got a job at a store I worked at in June of 2005. We were not an ‘item’ when he left for the US Army in September but within a week of leaving we started writing letters. Those letters were all we had for the months we could not see one another or even talk on the phone. Nine months after that first letter we were married.
2. We celebrated our first anniversary at Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion restaurant in Bonita Springs, Florida. We returned to that same Roy’s to celebrate our fifth anniversary. This year, we are lucky to live in Hawaii where the original Roy’s was developed so we have reservations for tonight’s dinner (sans kids)!
1. Kyle asked me to marry him on a Thursday morning, asked my parents that night and the following Monday we were married. July 3rd was the earliest possible day we could legally get married (there is a waiting period in Florida) so we planned everything in three days! Even with such short notice most of our family and friends were there to watch us get hitched! It was one of the best days in my life.
It has been an amazing seven years. I truly believe that we lucked out finding each other. Seven years ago I married my best friend and it has only gotten better as time has gone by. We complement each other, help carry the weight when it is too heavy for one, and bring out the best in one another. I look forward to the many years we have ahead of us as we take on the world side-by-side.