Miss Kylee has a handful of nicknames but since she was still in my belly we have called her “Bumble Bee”. I would joke that she would buzz around my belly so the name stuck. I have always kept an eye out for “bee” themed items for her and knew that for her first birthday we would throw her a ‘First Bee-Day” party.
I initially figured we wouldn’t be able to throw her an individual party because Kyle is going to be away again for her actual birthday. We started planning a joint party for her and Reece but after a lot of thought and discussion on the matter we came up with a way to give her her own special day. We are squeezing the party in to a short timeframe when Kyle is still in town and my mom is here (it is about a 12 hour overlap).
If you are familiar with our family you would know my mom is our resident “Cake Lady”. She makes some amazing cakes and can decorate them as beautifully as the masters do. I hoped she could make Kylee’s cupcakes and smash cake but we will literally be picking her up from the airport 90 minutes before the start of the party, not enough time for her special skill. So it is up to me.
Pinterest saved me. I found this amazing recipe for Honey cupcakes with a Honey & Cream Cheese frosting. The original recipe is from The Cake Blog. I just made them as a test run and I can say for certain that these little cakes of amazing will be made time and time again. I know our little Bumble Bee and her guests will love them!
For the cake:
1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In small bowl mix together wet ingredients: buttermilk, honey and vanilla, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the dry and wet ingredients, alternating starting and ending with dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Using ice cream scoop fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, ice with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting.
For the frosting:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbsp honey
yellow food coloring (optional)
yellow sugar sprinkles
- In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and cream cheese until combined.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and continue to mixing scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Mix in honey.
- If desired add a few drops of yellow food coloring to slightly tint the icing.
- Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with a round decorating tip and swirl the frosting on top of the cupcake going in a circular motion.
- Add some yellow sugar sprinkles and enjoy!
To give credit where credit is due, recipe and image stolen from thecakeblog.com. Go check that blog out for more cake inspiration!